Sector: Mixed Use
A planning application from Dorchester Living for the next phase of development at Heyford Park has been resolved to be granted planning permission by Cherwell District Council.
The scheme was submitted on behalf of the applicant by consultants Pegasus Group and is set to deliver wide ranging benefits to the area including much needed new homes, jobs and economic growth.
The comprehensive masterplan, which was recommended for approval by council officers, includes planning permission for up to:
- 823 new open market homes in a range of styles and sizes
- 352 affordable homes in a mix of tenures
- 60 close-care homes
- New shops and retail floor space
- A new medical centre
- A new primary school and nursery provision
- New community use building
The plans also include a new commercial park and employment buildings focussed on encouraging the creative industries, with new buildings and change of use of existing buildings and for filming on areas of the former Flying Field.
In addition, there will be new sports facilities, new heritage visitor facilities including a 30m observation tower and zip wire, and the creation of public parkland, cycle routes and footpaths all with new tree planting and biodiversity areas.
The construction phase of the development will bring huge economic benefits to the local area, including:
- 518 direct construction roles supported each year during the build phase
- Provision of homes will increase annual household expenditure by £38.6m pa
- Supporting delivery of new employment comprising 1,450 FTE jobs directly supported on site, worth £800m to the economic output contribution over a 10-year period
- Provision of 60 close care units, resulting in £12.7m worth of health savings over a 10 year period from reduced GP visits, hospital admissions and care home costs
- An estimated £245m construction investment over the 9-year build programme
- 1,619 economically active and employed residents living in the new homes
Following the meeting, Executive Director, Paul Burrell said: “We are delighted that this next phase of development at Heyford Park has been given the green light to move to the next stage.
“All parties have worked closely to reach this important milestone which is set to create significant benefits for housing choice, employment opportunities and new amenity spaces for the existing and new community, and will contribute significantly to the sustainable growth of the area.
“Together with Dorchester Living, we have worked hard with stakeholders to create a masterplan approach which positively and sympathetically responds to the development needs which have been allocated for some years now in the Local Plan.”
In recommending the scheme for approval, planning officers said: “The site has significant heritage value and careful consideration has been paid to the Masterplan to ensure that the distribution of uses across the site, as well as their overall impact, can be accommodated to preserve designated heritage assets.
“It is considered this scheme will help create a new settlement with areas of distinct character appropriate to their setting and surroundings… The new community will benefit from social infrastructure being provided and a s106 agreement will ensure its provision at the appropriate time.”
For more information about this scheme or any of our services, please contact us.